Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm Rather Alarmed (And Nine Feet Tall?)

All right. This is a pretty disturbing trend that seems to have cropped up. Now, I love the Golden Globes- by far the must entertaining awards show of the year. And I love many of the nominated actors and whatnot. But now it seems that almost all of this year's nominees felt the urge to release a statement to the media saying how thrilled they are by the statement was was released with their nomination. Mind-boggling. It just goes to show that even the most fantastic actors (hello, Dustin!) can be rather...uninspired...writers. There are precisely TWO amusing statements in the whole list, made by the most Vicodin-y and most horrible of the lot. Anyway, here's the list. (from EW):

Kevin Connolly, Entourage
Nominated for: Best Performance By an Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy

"When my phone started ringing this morning, my instinct was that something was wrong because I've never picked up the phone to good news at 5:30 a.m. I could feel the excitement in the voices on the machine so I was unsure what was going on. I called my mom who started to cry, she's so excited, I can't wait to bring her as my date. This is an incredible honor, I am thrilled. Thank you so much HFPA, this means the world to me."

Dustin Hoffman, Last Chance Harvey
Nominated for: Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
"It is so exciting to be nominated, but working with Emma was reward enough. Don't get me wrong, I still want to win!"

Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Nominated for: Best Performance By An Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television

"I'm delighted and honored by this nomination. It takes some of the sting out of being blatantly overlooked by the Obama transition team."

Shirley MacLaine, Coco Chanel
Nominated for: Best Performance By an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

"I am really thrilled! I guess I should dress up more. Maybe Chanel could do a couture line for seniors?"

Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Nominated for: Best Performance By An Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

"Wow, wow, wow -- what a surprise, I cannot describe how I feel, so appreciative of it all and so very pleased!! Such an honor to be in the same category as Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson. They are great, iconic women that I've watched for years -- they have definitely inspired and influenced me in my decision to pursue acting. So proud to be in this film and having the chance again to work with Mike Leigh. These past couple of days have been a whirlwind but I am feeling quite lucky and blessed at the moment."

Hugh Laurie, House
Nominated for: Best Performance By an Actor in a Television Series - Drama
"I am thrilled. Nine feet tall and thrilled."

No comments:

Post a Comment